In periodicity based system of maintenance we deploy the resources at the length not needing the attention due to following reasons:-
1. We don’t have fast data processing system.
2. Manual analysis of inspection results is laborious job.
3. We don’t have decision support system.
To overcome above difficulties TMS has been evolved in form of centralized computer software which generates track component data, inspection data and work report data to provide useful information for taking better decision.
The concept of need based maintenance can be introduced everywhere in railways by track management system.
Design of TMS:- At present TMS is having around 21 Modules. TMS has also been developed which contains almost all the decision support system and MIS.
1. Track structure data (Rail, sleeper, fittings and fastening, ballast, formation.)
2. Track Feature data (Points and crossings, level crossings, bridges, SEJs, curves
3. Inspection data (TRC, OMS, Manual Inspection results.)
4. Inventory transaction data (Materials, Tools and equipments, small track
5. Work Report data (Maintenance and Special works.)
6. Unsual occurances (Rail/weld failure, buckling, other track defects, breaches
and accidents etc.)
7. Labour and Machine Input (Type of machines, nature of job etc.)
8. Registers, Rainfall, Temperature records etc.
1. Machine deployment chart (Urgency, Peak, Track quality, Gauge, Continuity
2. Jobs cards for gangs.
3. Management Information System on TRC and OMS.
4. Inventory position Statistical information.
5. Status Report
Printing of defect list and job cards constitutes a very important task of TMS. Job
Card contains the nature of defects along with their locations